How the SEN Code can help parents

How the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (SEN Code) can help parents

If you have any worries at all about how your child's speech is affecting his progress at school then you are entitled under the SEN Code to express these concerns to the class teacher and have a helpful response from her. There is considerable emphasis now on the speech, language and communication needs of children after the Bercow Report (2009) stressed the need for education staff to receive training in meeting these needs. The government accepted this report so staff should be sensitive to any issues you raise about your child's speech and respond supportively.

The first step: Talking to your child's teacher about your concerns

You might want to ask:

  • Do you notice that my child is stammering and does he appear to be anxious about his speaking?
  • If so has this appeared to be affecting my child's learning in any way or is he at the same level as the other children of the same age?
  • Has my child appeared to be affected by his stammering in any other way?
    1. Does he seem happy to talk in the class and at playtime with staff and other children?
    2. Has his behaviour changed in any way?
    3. Does the teacher have Information about stammering for staff and are they using strategies to help?

If staff are able to give you reassurance that your child's learning is not being held back by his stammer and you agree that is the case then you simply need to keep an eye on his progress. You should be ready to take further action if you are concerned again.

Click on the following links to open a PDF, use the back button on your browser to return to this resource. To save the handout to your computer, right click and choose 'Save as'.

Text for this page: How the SEN Code can help parents
Text for this whole section: How to get support for learning for your primary school child who stammers